NAME : Joseph Olivier Mendo’o
PROFESSION : PhD; co-founder
CATEGORY NOMINATED : African Male Personality of the Year Award
COMPANY NAME : Peking University; China Africa Youth Federation
CITY : Beijing
COUNTRY BASE : China
NATIONALITY : Cameroon
-the acting Head Delegation of African Youth in the people’s Republic China (for 4 consecutive years).
-the President of the Peking University African Students Association (PUASA),
-the Co-founder of the China-Africa Youth Federation (CAYF),
-the President of the Africa China Leadership Association,
-the International Volunteer Chief Officer at Changier Education Foundation
(2)Activities / Lifting up the African Agency in China:
led the African youth Diaspora:
– for the International Youth Forum on South-South cooperation in Pakistan (Islamabad), and was awarded the best young diplomat of the forum
– for the International Youth summit at the Japanese Parliament (Tokyo), and received the award of best Diplomat
– for the UN Youth Forum in UAE and Pakistan (Dubai, Islamabad), and received the best head delegation award and a Special recognition from the NUST University School President (Islamabad)
– for the China-Africa Youth Festival 2020 and 2021 (FOCAC) organized by the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs, as part of the Forum of China Africa cooperation held in Senegal
– for the round tables exchanges organised by local officials at the China’s Great Hall of people (2016-2020).
– Special Guest of CCTV (Chinese) CGTN (English, French) from 2016 to date
(3)Promoting mutual learning and cultural understanding: volunteering, village official
– have been to close to 20 Chinese counties offering services to local farmers especially in less developed areas (daily chores with villagers, charity activities, teaching African culture and basic knowledges in local schools, having down- to-earth exchanges to shift the status quo in China Africa cooperation).
-led a delegation of foreigners to assist the Beijing local authorities to fight against the pandemic (sterilizing, translating regulations in foreign languages etc..).
– translated covid regulations in African local languages to assist our respective countries in raising awareness of the evolution of the virus.
-served as village official (village Chief Assistant) in a county in Shanxi getting more inputs on poverty alleviation and rural revitalization policies in China, and making the local authorities and villagers understand Africa potential and beauty.
(4)Correspondences to the Chinese President Xi
– I initiated and wrote two letters to share experiences and thoughts to the Chinese President Xi Jinping, representing the foreign students of Peking University, and the foreign youth in China (March and September 2021 respectively)
-was honoured to receive two official responses directly from the Chinese President commending various suggestions, understanding of China and extending an invitation for more dialogue, mutual understanding, to build a community with a shared future for humankind.
INSTAGRAM : oliviermendoo
FACEBOOK : https://www.facebook.com/joseph.mendoo
Joseph O. Mendo’o (Cameroon) is the acting head delegation of the African youth in China. He is PhD candidate at Peking University School of International Studies; a Research Assistant to the Peking University Center for African Studies, the Co-founder of the China-Africa Youth Federation (CAYF), the President of the Peking University African Students Association (PUASA), and the elected President of the Africa China Leadership Association. In his active , he led the African youth diaspora in many high profile forums, meetings and summits such as the China-Africa Youth Festival 2020 and 2021 (FOCAC) organized by the Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs; the UN Youth Forum in the middle East (UAE-Pakistan); the International Youth summit at the Japanese Parliament (Tokyo ); the International Youth Forum on South-South cooperation in Pakistan (Islamabad)， as well as salons and round tables exchanges organised by local officials at the Great Hall of people and the CPPCC (2017-2018-2020). He also often appears on CCTV news and CGTN to share his insights on ongoing trends in China-Africa relations.